Countries

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Día Tres: Day for the Day

                                            Soap on a stick, it's the happening thing.




Graffiti for the day: “Hip hop changed my life. I am a new man.”

Lessons for the day: If arms are not broken, you did not really want to leave the train.

I went to see Universidad de Buenos Aires. The place looks like a large high school, in that it’s not especially nice looking and has those high school chairs with the attached mini-desks. There are pigeons inside, and some graffiti, but it’s a very good school. UBA is a public school, so free, and thus competition is huge, meaning that the quality of the students is top notch. I might not take a classes there, because I’ve been warned that if I do so, I ought to be close to bilingual.  Getting back by subway was an experience. We missed our stop for changing lines, so had to go back. I got separated from the group later because I couldn’t get through the masses. One passenger advised me to shove and push my way out, but it was a sheer wall of bodies. I soon gave up on the subway and walked the rest of way. The air is like late autumn or early winter, it’s a nice night for walking. 

Food for the day: Spinach ravioli, especially tasty because I managed the restaurant (and the Spanish) alone (yes, pride is very tasty. You should try sprinkling it on all your dishes). I got a chance to read a newspaper – there’s a lot on the presidential elections, and a little on the USA. I feel comics, and generally sense of humor, says a lot about a country. Mostly the comics were like those in the USA: jokes about government debt, about TV, about romantically interested people being awkward.

Stereotype for the day: Raquel's English textbook has a few photos and mentions of USA stuff: hamburgers and other fast food, blue jeans, the movie Pretty Woman, NY taxis. I'd be cool if I had a point to make about this, but I really just like seeing how the world views us. The constant stream of hamburgers is pretty in holding with Hetalia's view, and sadly, I can't say the representations are too unfounded.


1 comment:

  1. Pretty Woman is rather odd as the quintessential American movie. I guess it does have the element of changing one's life through learning and effort.

    ReplyDelete